Wednesday, May 19, 2010

my little office on the 10th floor of Crowell Hall

I really love my job. Its come to my attention that back in October or November when I got my job, I apparently didn't tell a lot of important people exactly what it was I would be doing. Sorry to all those of you that includes (this may unveil a certain measure of narcissism, assuming people actually want and do read this...I'll work on that).

Anyways, I love my job. I'm an office assistant for a program on Moody Radio called Midday Connection. Most of my time is spent answering emails that the show receives. The questions range from "Who was the guest on the show today?" to pleas for help with depression, loneliness, marriage problems, parenting problems, etc. The latter types of questions I feel ridiculously inadequate to even attempt to answer. A lot of times I point them to resources that have just been talked about on our show. However, there are times when that seems extremely insufficient. I don't usually know quite what to do but I do my best to give people a little bit of encouragement, to pray for them as I read their emails and reply to them, and, when possible, speak a little bit of truth to them.

Back to why I love it. I love it because people are honest. They gain nothing from shooting us an email (well, we do a ton of giveaways but generally, they have no intention of getting anything when they write). People write telling us what they've liked, what they haven't liked, and - what I love most- they tell us a piece of their story, sometimes that piece is a victorious one, sometimes a broken one. I feel privileged to read them and to try my hand at helping them as I reply.

This hasn't been the profoundest of thoughts but I am blessed to like my job so much.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Charity!
I love your blog!

Just wanted to let you know that God has handpicked this job for you! It's perfect for you, and even though you might feel inadequate at times, trust in the fact that God has given you the gift of encouragement and that the Holy Spirit will speak through you as you respond to those emails! Keep being available to the Lord's nudges and lives will be changed whether you know it or not!
proud of you and love you Charity!