Monday, June 22, 2009

listening to the silence...

I'm going to Africa tomorrow. Part of a dream that I've been dreaming for about five years or more. I'll be going into North Africa for a few days.If you have questions or are interested in knowing more about my trip, feel free to shoot me an email. Its easier to communicate that way. (charityjoyvoelker@gmail.com)

I know God has so many things so show me and I'm asking that above all you pray that I listen closely to His voice. The words from a song I heard recently have been running through my head. They say "I've made You promises a thousand times, I try to hear from heaven but I talk the whole time..." I feel like that is the case so many times. I try to pray, to sit before the Lord and hear His voice. But, somewhere along the way I've confused prayer with talking to God and have left little room for listening in silence for His voice. Sometimes I wonder how many times a day I fail to recognize it.

A quick update about my actual internship: I have been reworking a design I originally started that wasn't quite what the project supervisor was looking for. Its been a difficult time in some regards, I've battled a lack of creativity and personal frustrations and stubbornness, but have also experienced the excitement of new ideas and the joys of working through the rough spots. It has resulted in some random work hours(when inspiration and creativity finally hit, you have to run with it!...even at 2:30 in the morning sometimes...) and a lot of days of research, brainstorming, and trying to muster up some inspiration. But, I've come up with an overall theme that I liked and decided it was time to show it to my project supervisor. So, I took my computer to his office today, braced for constructive criticism. I've had a lot of "getting over myself" to do the last couple days so this meeting really could have been a great thing or an awful thing. I tried not to hold my breath as I entered his office. But, good news! I had two designs to show him and he really liked one (the same one as me) and really disliked the other (which helps, actually, in a strange way.). It was a successful meeting and I came away really encouraged. So, I've got some tweaking and reworking as well as a few pages to keep working on but I feel like I have some direction which is a wonderful feeling!

I'll probably be out of contact for the next week or so but will be back in Malaga soon! love and miss you all. Que la gracia del Senor sobreabunde en vosotros!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Have a safe trip... shot me an email sometime, 'cause I want to hear about it!

Laura McLain said...

Guess that means we're on the same continent. :) Would love to hear all about your trip!

Emily said...

Wait....What the heck!?!? You're going to Africa!?!?!?! AH!