Saturday, June 06, 2009

celebrating rest

Well, its been almost a week! So much has happened that sitting down to write almost seems an overwhelming task. But, I'll just pick out a few highlights.

First of all, its so great to be here. Things seem so familiar because the culture and just the way things operate is so much like Portugal. Its refreshing. I really enjoy the pace of life. The day starts at 9:15 with prayer meeting with all the people that I work with. Then, work is from about 10-2. Then, everything shuts down except for major businesses from 2-4 for lunch and siesta. Its wonderful. :) Then back to work from 4-7:30 or so. Dinner isn't until around 8:30 or 9. Then bed comes around 11, or in my case anywhere from 10 to 3 am. Jet lag didn't hit me until about 3 days after I got here, but I'm doing much better now. (For a point of reference, we are seven hours ahead of Chicago/DesMoines time.)

I've started working on the project I've been assigned. I'm not too far into it but its under way! I am working on putting together (designing, laying out, arranging text, etc) a Spanish Bible study booklet. I've never done anything quite this large scale so it will be interesting! I'm really enjoying it though, and learning so much already!

The weather is pretty warm but there's an amazing breeze that comes off the Mediterranean. I have LOVED sitting on the porch off of my apartment. We have a beautiful view that these pictures don't do justice. Right now the moon is full and bright and the trees are gently swaying in the wind. It is so calm and I'm loving the time I get to just sit in silence. To breathe. Its refreshing. I'm trying to make it a habit to just spend time in silence every day. Its harder than I thought it would be, my mind just keeps racing. I'm reading in a book about the idea of creating rest and celebrating that rest in the Lord and when I am finally able to quiet down, its so beautiful.


I'm living in an apartment with another girl who is interning for 8 months, she's been here 2 already. She's about my age and its so great! She is such a God-send. One of the things I was worried about was loneliness before coming and so far, the people I'm with, especially my roommate have displayed that my fears hold no water. These people are an extension of God's provision.

One last little tidbit, one of my favorite stories so far. First of all, I'm in Spain. Not a third world country, we have running water (haha, most of the time, though it does periodically shut off for a few hours, and its not alway hot, but I was used to that in Portugal...), we have electricity, paved roads, etc. However, we do have bugs. The other day after prayer meeting we were standing around the kitchen and two of us spotted a cockroach (the large variety) crawling on the wall, toward the ceiling. We asked one of the men to get it (he's the type where nothing phases him). So, he climbed on the counter and just grabbed the roach with his bare hands, holding it in his fist. He pretends like he's about to eat it and one of the ladies dares him to actually do it. He looks at her, smiles, and pops it in his mouth, chews it up, and swallows, then takes a big swig of orange juice. The rest of us just kinda gaped at him. love it! He works in the office next to mine, never a dull moment. :) My roommate and I are considering putting his number on speed dial in case those cockroaches wander up to our apartment. The girls on my floor at school will appreciate that, i know. At least its not a mouse!!



on our way to the market...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Charity! It sounds like everything is going amazing, God has brought u up in my mind a couple times and i have been praying for you!

Jenae