Thursday, October 08, 2009

the weekend is a beautiful thing

On Saturday morning, I have a date. I have a leaf collecting date with a 5 year old little girl named Abby Smith and I can't wait. I've been looking forward to it since I first talked to her mom about it at the RA picnic. Abby and I walked around Lincoln Park that day and collected leaves for probably close to an hour. It was so much fun. Saturday we're going to collect them, take some pictures and put together a little package to send to her grandparents who live in Mexico. Apparently one of the things they miss the most from the Midwest US is the changing of fall leaves. We're going to modgepodge some leaves on a picture frame with a picture of Abby playing in the leaves and then we'll mail them some of the fall leaves we collect. I can't wait! I have some pressed leaves modgepodged into my journal from last fall and I love looking back through. I collected the leaves on a much needed walk with Laurie Dori last October. The leaves are accompanied by some heart-felt words that searched for God and that reflected incredibly honest cries from my heart on behalf of myself and my friends. We were walking through some rough stuff together around this time last year. A lot has changed since then, and we've grieved a lot, and are still grieving, but my hope and prayer is that we can continue the process together because communal grief is a beautiful part of the Body that we often miss out on I think. I truly hope that as we move forward we can see together how our tears are changed to joy in the hands of our Abba, and that when the tears still fall many years from now we can cry and hurt together again while at the same time rejoicing in the wounds that grace and love have healed.
I guess I went pretty deep from my initial excitement of my playdate with Abby. I didn't know I was going there when I started writing but it merited writing about. I hope my leaf-collecting time with Abby is as special and monumental as it was with Laurs. :) I'm sure it will be in its own way. Happy Fall, friends!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Happy Fall!